One of the best things about the Crosman 2240 Bolt Action CO2-Powered .22 Pistol (besides the price) is how easy it is to add some pretty sick mods. Read our full review here.
You can obviously go nuts but here are the top 5 recommended mods out of the gate:
- Trigger job. Really needs a better trigger, so you can either tune/adjust it yourself or buy one of the aftermarket kits and install that. Is #1 because it makes that big a difference.
- Steel breech. Even if you've never mounted a scope, having the barrel to breech connection be more solid pays off huge in terms of accuracy.
- Test the issue barrel. If needed, lap it and recrown it. Only after giving it every chance would I look for an aftermarket barrel. If you like lighter weight, then look for an Al. breech.
- Better sights. Kind of goes with #2, as you need the steel breech. Better iron if that's your inclination. Use scope or red dot if you don't mind non-traditional pistol sights.
- "Power adjuster". It really sets the tension of the striker spring. You'll find that the best setting for summer isn't the best setting for winter, but with the right setting, a 2240 is quite useful down into the upper 40's.
See some of these mods in action: